“For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.” Isaiah 28:11
Jesus promised the disciples he would send the Holy Ghost, as a ‘comforter,’ during his absence.
- And I will pray to the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; John 14:16
- But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26
The disciples were the first to receive the Holy Ghost after the ascent of Jesus.
- And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
The disciples spread the good news of the Holy Ghost to the world; and promised it to ‘all who are far off – for all whom the Lord our God will call.’ How many is all…? ALL.
- Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off – for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
As with believing, baptism and learning to live for God, the Holy Ghost is another piece of the salvation walk; and tongues is given as its sign.
- Acts 19:2 – He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
- Acts 19:6 – And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
- 1 Corinthians 14:22 – Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:
- Mark 16:17 – And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Christians who continue to embrace tongues today, as the comforter it was intended to be for this world, understand that tongues are not only the evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost, but are the spirit’s gateway to God and they help us pray in line with God’s will.
- 1 Corinthians 14:2 – For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
- Romans 8:26 – Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
“I am leaving you with a gift–peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. ” John 14:27