While participating on a Middle East panel of the Academy of Achievement in Chicago, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, warned against religious definitions of terrorism, and specifically objected to the phrases “Islamic terror” and “moderate Islam.”
Reacting to Congresswoman Jane Harman’s use of ‘moderate Islam’, Erdogan said:
- “Turkey is not a country where moderate Islam is sovereign.
- First of all, the ‘moderate Islam’ concept is wrong.
- The word ‘Islam’ is a simple word — it is only Islam.
- If you say ‘moderate Islam,’ then an alternative is created, and that is ‘immoderate Islam.’
- I cannot accept such a concept as a Muslim. Islam rejects excessivenesses.
- I am not a radical Muslim. We are Muslims who have found a middle road.” See more.
Photo credit: AskDrBrown (Facebook)