Photo from Wikipedia.org
God has used earthquakes to “highlight some of the most important events of the Bible,” for purposes of “judgment, deliverance, and communication,” and He will continue to do so until the second coming of Jesus; according to Steven A. Austin, Ph.D., Senior Research Geologist of Logos Research Associates, in Santa Ana, CA., who writes of those Biblical events in the “Greatest Earthquakes of the Bible.”
To date, there have been 48 large earthquakes (Mag 6.0 or greater) around the world, with the strongest and deadliest striking Nepal on April 25th. The most recent was the mag. 6.8 that shook Japan, and another heavy hit on Nepal (7.3); both striking on Tuesday, May 12th.
- The scriptures tell us of worldwide natural catastrophes that will happen in the latter days: “There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places (Luke 21:11 NIV).”
- We are told all of creation waits for the return of Christ, in the hope of being set free from mankind’s bondage and corruption; thus we see creation moaning, as if in childbirth pains, even until now (Romans 8:19-22).
- There will be a large earthquake when Jesus returns: “I looked when He broke the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake.. (Rev. 6:12).”
- Zachariah (14-4) says “on that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south.
- Many heavenly and earthly catastrophes will take place, “but everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved (Acts 2:20-21 NLT).“